Monday, April 6, 2009

Corporate Weasel





Sunday: 05 April 2009

Had a patient relative go ballistic on me this evening. I was very careful about what I said to her – but she was completely out of control and I finally just cut the scenario short. She was being personally verbally abusive towards me – and we’re just not going to do that.

Monday: 06 April 2009

The head ED site physician for Team Health tried to take me to task for my encounter with the Banshee from last night.

He remarked that there was a tremendous amount of “buzz” over what had happened.

When asked if I had used inappropriate language during the encounter – I replied that while she was certainly deserving to be sworn at – I did not. The woman was completely inappropriate and out of control. After listening to the hospital, the nursing staff, and finally myself be verbally abused – I decided I’d had enough. I advised her she was a very unpleasant person – and had left it at that.

His inquiry was merely a segue. This corporate weasel did exactly what I expected. He said the hospital was very upset with what had happened and that I wasn’t going to be scheduled to work there after today.

I had run this scenario through prior to arriving at work . . . so my response was swift and very direct.

“Well then, I’m done for today.” (I was only about two hours into my 9-hour shift).

He evidently was caught up short by that.

“Here’s my phone, my identification cards… ”

He then did something incredibly stupid – suggested that I should finish my shift.

In a very clear and measured tone – I looked him square in the eye and said, “If your organization won’t stand up for me – then I can’t think of a single reason why I should work for you. Somebody walks into this department – acts out and is inappropriate – and I’m the one who takes the hit? This is not acceptable.”

He stammered some more about my staying to finish up my shift – but I was on a roll and would have nothing of it.

“That’s the way you’ve chosen to play it – now this is how I’m playing it. Enjoy covering my shift. Good day”


That felt GOOD.

No comments: