Saturday, October 17, 2009

TWA Convair 880
Dayton, Ohio
Shot from te observation deck at Cox International Airport. Try doing this today.

Very graceful airliner - daparting the gate.

Same airplane - being dismantled at a TWA facility in Kansas City, November 1979.

Convair 880 - Dayton, Ohio - August 1970. Back in the day one could go up to an outside observation deck and watch the comings and goings at Dayton. Somewhere in my collection of pictures are some taken at night. The first two images were taken on a sultry late August evening as the sun was just touching the horizon with thin clouds - hence no demonstrable shadow and the fuel truck that looks like it is storming around the parked airliner.

Only 65 Convair 880s were ever produced. Fewer of the 990 version were made. The vast majority are now gone. However - if you absolutely MUST see a Convair 880 - visit (of all places) Graceland. Elvis bought one and named it after his daughter. . . Both the B&W images were with a Zeiss Super Ikonta B.

1 comment:

aviationcolors said...

Very nice 880 shots. I have an internet alert set up for anything related to 880s and 990s.

I lived in Indianapolis as a kid and TWA flew a few 707s in per day. Once in a while they'd substitute an 880 and I thought I'd hit the jackpot, seeing one land. Loud, smoky, sleek. I loved them.

I joined with a (now-defunct) group in Mojave to restore ship #23 and have taken quite a few photos out there. I also have an 880 throttle console and rudder pedals in my collection, among other artifacts.

If you have more 880 photos it would be good to see them!

CL